National Malleefowl monitoring, population assessment (breeding densities) and conservation action Project.
The Project was divided into two. The first part was done in 2006 and the second part in 2007 and early 2008. The VMRG was contracted to the Mallee CMA to deliver both years. A number of Milestones were established for each year of the project. You can access and download the milestone reports by clicking on the appropriate document.
Nationally, the species is classified as vulnerable. It is regarded as endangered in New South Wales, South Australia and Western Australia and vulnerable in Victoria. The species may be extinct in the Northern Territory.
In the past century, Malleefowl populations have declined greatly, a product of
- habitat loss, fragmentation and degradation,
- inappropriate fire regimes,
- predation by introduced species, and
- climate change
The National Malleefowl Recovery Plan has an overall objective of securing the existing populations across the species range. This project addressed that objective.
- The analysis of existing data with respect to breeding densities, breeding trends, impacts of land management and environmental variables.
- Development of a consist national monitoring system, database and monitoring field manual.
- Integration of the monitoring system into outcomes for habitat conservation across southern Australia.
- A cross-jurisdictional and collaborative approach.
- A National Project Steering Committee, comprising Malleefowl groups, community members, land managers and scientific advisors.
- The establishment of further monitoring grids in key locations.
- Shared outcomes with Regional Plans and the National Malleefowl Recovery Plan.
||Final Report of the National Malleefowl Monitoring, Population Assessment and Conservation Project
(pdf format, 143KB)
|April 12, 2006
(pdf format, 51KB)
|June 9, 2006
||Gap Analysis of monitoring and associated data, and an update on data collation
(pdf format, 124KB)
|December 5, 2006; Revised July 4, 2007
||Trend Analysis of Malleefowl Monitoring Data
(pdf format, 312KB)
|January 30, 2007
||Review and refinement of monitoring program. Preliminary draft manual for national monitoring system. Volunteer Workshop
(pdf format, 111KB)
|April 30, 2007
||Final Draft Manual for the National Monitoring System. An Evaluation Report on Volunteer Training Workshops - training volunteers in the use of the new Mational Monitoring System.
(pdf format, 980KB)
|August 26, 2007
||Advice to Natural Resource Management Bodies Regarding Management and Monitoring of Malleefowl.
(pdf format, 6,149KB)
||Advice to Regional Natural Resource Management Bodies Regarding Management and Monitoring of Malleefowl
||Management and Monitoring of Malleefowl
(pdf format, 1,611KB)